In a short span from year 2000 onwards, Sri Sri Ravishankar Vidya Mandir (SSRVM) Trust has established educational institutions starting from Pre- Primary to P.G. Studies in diverse fields viz… Management, Computer Study, Ayurveda medicine etc.
The SSRVM trust comprises of – SSRVM Schools; Bal (Child) Mandirs, Higher Education – Sri Sri Ayurveda College, Sri Sri Computer Sciences, Sri Sri University.
The motto of SSRVM is, learning is an individual process for each student and information is imparted at the realm of experience, while enhancing human values of love, friendliness, compassion, caring and sharing. Regular curriculum is offered in such a joyful and stress-free manner that the student looks forward to going to school.
The Project is about their website www.ssrvm.org which comes under the SSRVM Trust. The Project got initiated in 2014.
Between 2014-2015 period of the Project, the project activities involved –
- Setting up the Consolidating Process for the Parent website and the individual school websites, Integration and Standardizing of the individual websites of all the SSRVM schools, (amounting to 80+), and linking them under one common umbrella of the ssrvm.org the apex website.
- Bring benefits, by bringing the technology upgradation via newer software products versions available in the market.
- Consolidating of the infrastructure which was to be transitioned and maintained by SSI. This was earlier managed and maintained separately by individual SSRVM schools.
Mid-way through 2015, after the consolidation process was set and initial support was provided in transitioning the first 4-5 schools. Currently –
- The SSRVM is managing directly the transitioning of the individual school websites under ssrvm.org ; with SSI playing consulting role and stepping when needed.
- The website is currently under Continuous Enhancement and Maintenance with SSI. There are occasional major enhancements to bring more and more functional features in the website to be of greater use to various SSRVM stakeholders.
(Project Scope Exclusion – Caters to the SSRVM schools only and does not cover the Bal (Child) Mandirs, Colleges and University. The SSRVM schools itself is around 80+ and one can imagine the scale of operation.)
Discovering the clear requirements, Designing, Developing and Implementing totally a new website of www.ssrvm.org. Additionally, while the new www.ssrvm.org, site was being developed, the support and maintenance of their existing website which was having huge issues but had to be continued till such time the new website was being developed and implemented.
Project Team: SSI team for New Website had total 2 members. Additionally, there was a 3rd party vendor appointed for Screen design / Layout (This though was abandoned as it was not up to the mark)
Following Implementation, the application is currently under Continuous Maintenance and Enhancement with SSI.
- Developed and Implemented for Apex website and the initial schools in 2014-15
- There was no direct interface between SSRVM apex website and SSRVM school websites. Hence there was a disconnect between these entities in its operation.
- There was no standardization, on most of the aspects of website creation and maintenance. Each School had its own vendor to manage their website; the screen layout was individually designed and did not represent the common brand of SSRVM.
- The SSRVM website itself was not up to the mark on the multiple aspect of website creation and maintenance. The apex website was not meeting the needs of the times of the technology progress. The site had multiple operating issues.
- Any business changes on the earlier apex website and school websites took substantial time because of the 3rd party software vendor dependency leading to delays in making the feature to be available.
- Because of the above situation, collectively the SSRVM Trust and its schools were incurring heavy costs because of operating in a disintegrated way.
- Operating in a disparate way, between apex website and school’s websites would not have supported SSRVM growth plans.
- SSI could provide consulting and solutions of integrating the apex-school website, providing the screen designs to gel with the educational entity
- Consolidation of the Infrastructure and doing away with multiple-vendors enabled to reduce SSRVM costs in a big way.
- The website was developed in such a way that the website could be easily supported by the non-technology savvy SSRVM staff. The SSRVM admin of the website can now manage the content on their own for it to appear at their websites. Other than the enhancement aspects, the SSRVM is maintaining the website with their own staff with minimum resources.
- While the new SSRVM website was developed, the existing website was maintained and supported by SSI team without bringing disruption in SSRVM activities on this website.
- Because of the faster information availability and better UI of the website there is an enhanced satisfaction among all the stakeholders.
- When the SSI got involved for offering its solutions, SSRVM was poised for bigger operating scale as it had growth path of expanding the SSRVM schools across the country. The solutions provided supported these growth plans.
|Technology Used||New Website|
|Content Mgmt. System||WordPress|
|Hosting Webserver||Linux Apache|
- At the beginning of the project, there was a 3rd party vendor appointed for Screen design / Layout. Though the vendor was supposedly having the skills on UI/UX it did not meet the expectation. Their work was abandoned as it was not up to the mark. In the process, there were delays.
- It was a first time, SSI was dealing with a non-profit Organisation and non-tech savvy staff which had the challenges associated with the same.
- It was again the first time SSI had to deal with multi-websites (Apex website and the individual school websites)
- While the new website was being developed, the earlier developed website was to be maintained and supported by developing patches to keep the business as usual.
- The SSI team involved was Technologically proficient, dedicated to making a success of this Project assignment.
- Each of the Project team member taking Pride in the work and taking ownership