In the universe of mobile application development, choosing the best platform is a tremendous challenge for the developers. Due to some significant confusion, many believe in the native theory. On the other hand, others have shown their keen interest in hybrid mobile app development services. However, developers are in no doubt that each platform offers advantages. Obviously, each one has different perspectives and provides its own benefits.
Native app development is used to design an app for a particular operating system. For example, SWIFT for iOS, whereas hybrid app development is used to offer a common platform for iOS and Android app development – FLUTTER being one such example.
But when it comes to iOS application development: which one is better? Is it Swift or Flutter? In today’s article, we will try to analyze all the aspects that will lead us to the right choice!
Flutter Framework to build an iOS application:
Flutter is Google’s cross-platform framework for developing apps for iOS and Android platforms with a single code base. It is an open-source SDK from Google, built on Dart programming language. The objective of this SDK (software development kit) is simple: to create multiplatform native apps. It not only serves mobile devices, but also the web and desktop environment. Flutter is nothing more than a mobile UI framework that works as a template for the developers. It offers a series of useful and practical functions that can be used in the program’s code.
Swift Framework to build an iOS application:
Swift is the programing language of Apple. Many are already creating or modifying their projects and learning the advantages that the language brings. Compared to Objective-C, Swift brings additional facilities and features. However, Swift is a powerful programing language for iOS, macOS, TV-OS, and watch-OS apps. The style is similar to Ruby and Python. Swift iOS app development brings you productivity and dozens of cool features. Above all, it is easy to work with. However, if you need to build an app, particularly for iOS, Swift is better in terms of productivity and features.
Flutter features: It offers limitless creativity:
According to Google itself, Flutter was created to improve the quality of applications and increase the speed of their development. Thus, it is possible to reach more users with the same solution. With Flutter, one does not bear the costs of creating two versions of the same app, and Flutter also makes it easy to build beautiful applications. Giving freedom to designers, this mobile UI framework allows the modification of each pixel on the screen. Of course, the beauty of an app depends on the designer’s creativity. But Flutter does not impose barriers to this development.
Advantages of using Flutter:
- Unlike other solutions, Flutter generates truly native codes for both Android and iOS
- Flutter offers greater fluidity and speed in the execution of applications
- It does not use native components via a “bridge”, nor does it run in a Web-View
- It is a free cross-platform hybrid solution with open source code
- The open-source project includes the contribution of thousands of developers around the globe.
Instead of learning Objective C or Swift to build native iOS apps, Flutter can be used as a general-purpose Dart Programming Language. Undoubtedly, the custom mobile app development is considered an exciting way to reach the target audience. Having a single code base cross-platform framework is essential in creating goals for your strategy. It is crucial to accelerate the speed of the decision to compete in the digital world.
Swift features: it brings superior productivity and ease of use:
Apple had a great need to maintain a language that is easy to understand and easy to use. Swift was created with the proposal to make application programming easier, flexible, and cleaner.
- Modern and flexible – The programming language offers many advanced concepts. In this way, Swift does not need to use a semicolon at the end of each line and adds better memory management.
- Excellent in functional programming – Functional programming is a computing paradigm, treating this medium as a set of mathematical functions. Apple took advantage of this and applied it to Swift, making it possible to mix object orientation with functional programming.
- Swift is faster – Compared to Flutter, Swift has a sizeable advantage when it comes to overall performance. Apple itself highlighted this point as the main attraction of this language. By reducing the number of files generated in the code, it is possible to improve its performance.
Check out these reasons to develop your iOS application with Swift:
- Better quality apps
- Does not suffer from fragmentation
- IOS platform does not allow operator data
- Less competition and higher wages for developers
- Better support for USB audio devices
- More genetic compatibility and ease of use
Which one is a clear winner?
First, the answer depends on your requirements. Let us brief you a little.
For you to understand, we have divided the verdict into four simple steps. They are the process of onboarding, development time, app reloading, and greater accessibility.
- Process onboarding: Compared to Flutter, Swift has a less stressful configuration. The integration process of Flutter is somewhat lengthy.
- Development time: With Swift, you can easily measure and analyze the build time. Although the X-Code build time is superfast with Flutter, it takes more time for clean builds, compared to Swift.
- App reloading time: In this scenario, Flutter has the advantage. With Swift, if you need to change a simple interface, you need to do it from the storyboard. It means changes with accessibility and data. Whereas, Flutter has a “Hot Reload Process”, capable of performing the entire operation in merely 3-4 seconds.
- Accessibility: Accessibility and app development go hand to hand. Swift offers you to build the UIKit framework and is simple to use, whereas Flutter app development does not support this feature. There is a problem with adding accessibility identifiers for testing.
Conclusion: Final verdict
After seeing all these essential details, we can say that Swift is a clear winner. But that does not mean that Flutter is a backbencher. However, it still needs a lot of improvement in terms of competing with Swift. Flutter is faster, but Swift is better. Creating an application first in the Swift language will make it easier to test your limits and skills. Hence, selecting a professional IOT software development company can be a perfect choice.